Problems 24 – China 1949: Fixing a Broken Society
- The West’s false understanding of ‘Normal Politics’.
- How the Kuomintang failed to develop anything much during their period of rule. How they failed to confront Global Imperialism, and then were very slow to resist Japan’s expansion into Chinese territory.
- An interesting account of the first years after 1949, by a Christian missionary who stayed in China when most Westerners left or were expelled.
- How Edgar Snow was well aware of the crisis after the Great Leap Forward, but noted the unusual weather and did not class it as a famine.
Also available as a PDF, Problems 24 China 1949.
- Why Muons were real, even when no one had believed they should exist. Or could explain why they did exist.
- Why atoms are not really ‘a hole in a hole’.
- Why any native English speaker would know that a ‘green great dragon’ was bad English, but would be unlikely to know why.
- How the question ‘why’ is very different for human matters and for the physical universe.
- How religions came in waves of ideas, and gave us ways to organise our thinking that had not existed before.
- How religions show their human origin, by always supposing that it was a universe made as a dwelling for humans and similar creatures
Available from Athol Books.