13th April – Newsnotes for December 2017 and February 2018.
3rd April – Jews as ‘Collateral Damage’ in the Fall of the British Empire:
Part One, Britain’s Exterminating Sea Empire.
No proper understanding of either Zionism or anti-Semitism is possible if you think of these as unique beliefs arising for baffling reasons. It is wrong to suppose that either are due to some Jewish uniqueness. To me, it has always seemed obvious that these were typical instances of global human behaviour. Desires that often run into foolishness, wickedness and ‘ethnic cleansing’.
Racism isn’t necessarily anti-Jewish, and nor is Fascism. The roots lie in the wrong turning that the expanding British Empire took in the early 19th century. For while Racism is an older sentiment that Universalism, the remarkable growth of White Racism in the 19th century was led and encouraged by the British Empire.
In the 1920s and 1930s, all Jews including Zionists were caught up in a disaster caused by the decline of the British Empire. Caused also by the USA’s irresponsible detachment and Hitler’s foolish haste in undermining British hegemony in Europe.
Also available as a PDF, Problems 29 – Genocide in the British Empire
21st March – Did Russia do the Nerve Gas Assassination?
13th February – Newsnotes for November 2017
30th December – Newsnotes for October 2017.
19th December – When was the Number of Sovereign States at a Minimum?
22nd November – Feed-the-Rich Economics. Advert for Problems 31.
12th November – Newsnotes for September.
3rd October – Newsnotes for July / August 2017
Assessing May’s failure in the snap election she chose to call.
- Newsnotes for June 2017.
- Awed by the Amazing Twentieth?
Just published, Problems 30. And Problems 26 & 27 are now on-line.
Problems 30: Jews as ‘Collateral Damage’ in the Fall of the British Empire. Part Two: The 13th Chancellor (summary only)
Available on-line – Khrushchev Had a Little-Known Trotskyist Past.
Problems 26 – Smedley: an American Woman Who Loved China’s Red Army
- How Agnes Smedley found a life’s purpose in China
- Her connection with super-spy Richard Sorge
- Her account of the little-known Red Areas in South China
- The surprising neglect of her work by later writers
- How she told a genuinely unknown and potentially damaging story about Mao
- The cowboy scholarship of ‘Wild Swan’ Chang and ‘Doc’ Halliday.
- Her account of the ‘A.B. Group’, an early split within the Red Army
- The Chinese Social Democrats’ efforts to created a functional Third Force
Also available as a PDF, Problems 26 Smedley and China’s Red Army
Problems 27 – China: Agnes Smedley’s Battle Hymn Against Japan
- Smedley as Stranger In Her Own Land
- Chinese Trotskyism
- The little-known Trotskyist influence on Khrushchev
- Witness at Xian – and Loose Cannon at Xian
- A Failed Sexual Revolution at Yenan
- Singing a Battle Hymn of China
- Persecution by the Ignorant and Powerful
- Death and Unjust Neglect
Also available as a PDF, Problems 27 – Smedley in the Sino-Japanese War
27th July – Just published, Problems 29. And Problems 25 now on-line.
Problems 29: Jews as ‘Collateral Damage’ in the Fall of the British Empire. Part One: Britain’s Exterminating Sea Empire (summary only)
Problems 25 – China: Blue Ants and Dangerous Reds
- Writing in 1950s, a French writer has no doubt that Mao’s new China is efficient, clean and orderly. He dislikes the loss of what he sees as the romance of Old China, while not denying the suffering.
- He also says “”China has therefore been Westernised for a second time, more completely than the first. China is no longer Asiatic. At most she will be Eurasian”.
- The article next studies what the same writer had said earlier. And then a bizarre US science fiction novel that shows the ignorance and prejudice about China at the time.
- Finally it looks at the Yangtze Incident of 1949, and how it ended a century of Western intrusion into China’s rivers.
16th June – Newsnotes for April now on-line
- Terrorism: Discards Won’t be Discarded
- Why Won’t Scotland Obey England?
- 1% of Muscovites Can’t Be Wrong!
- Dutch ‘Soft Left’ Slump Disastrously
- Martin McGuinness – a Man of Unauthorised Violence
Awed by the Amazing Twentieth? Is it unreasonable to ask people getting more than £80,000 a year to pay more tax?
Newsnotes for March 2017.
- Newsnotes for December 2016 and February 2017.
- Zionism’s Suicidal Militancy: why a hard line is probably doomed, just as it was for the Soviet Union under Brezhnev.
- Degraded Globalisation. How the 1980s saw increasing inequality in the West. But also a fast rise by China, which resisted Neo-Liberal ideas.
- Newsnotes for November available.
14th January 2017
Added full on-line text of Problems 24 – China 1949: Fixing a Broken Society.
- The West’s false understanding of ‘Normal Politics’.
- How the Kuomintang failed to develop anything much during their period of rule. How they failed to confront Global Imperialism, and then were very slow to resist Japan’s expansion into Chinese territory.
- An interesting account of the first years after 1949, by a Christian missionary who stayed in China when most Westerners left or were expelled.
- How Edgar Snow was well aware of the crisis after the Great Leap Forward, but noted the unusual weather and did not class it as a famine.
13th October – Newly Available On-Line:
Problems 23 –
- Why it become the job of the Chinese Communist Party to complete the necessary nationalist revolution that the Kuomintang had backed away from in 1927.
- The unexpected role of Madam Sun (Soong Ching-ling) in publicising and strengthening Mao Zedong via Edgar Snow’s Red Star Over China.
- Full article, available online.
- Also available as aPDF,
9th August – available on-line: Problems 22 – China’s Blue Republic, 1912-49.
Site Menu Overview
- Ideas and Ideals – main menu, 2nd menu, 3rd menu.
- Science – main menu, extra
- History – main menu
- Britain – main menu, extra
- China – main menu, extra, Tibet
- Fascism and the two World Wars- main menu, extra
- Globalisation –main menu, extra
- Economics – main menu, extra (economics is about people)
- News Archive – main menu (has submenus for each year and for each month in a year).
- New Right Ideas – main menu
- USA – main menu
- Democracy – main menu
- Other Politics – main menu
- Why Humans Make Religion – main menu
- Science Fiction & Fantasy – main menu
- My artwork – main menu
- Holiday Photos – main menu
- Problems Magazine – main menu