- Newsnotes for December 2016 and February 2017.
- Zionism’s Suicidal Militancy: why a hard line is probably doomed, just as it was for the Soviet Union under Brezhnev.
- Degraded Globalisation. How the 1980s saw increasing inequality in the West. But also a fast rise by China, which resisted Neo-Liberal ideas.
- Newsnotes for November available.
14th January 2017
Added full on-line text of Problems 24 – China 1949: Fixing a Broken Society.
- The West’s false understanding of ‘Normal Politics’.
- How the Kuomintang failed to develop anything much during their period of rule. How they failed to confront Global Imperialism, and then were very slow to resist Japan’s expansion into Chinese territory.
- An interesting account of the first years after 1949, by a Christian missionary who stayed in China when most Westerners left or were expelled.
- How Edgar Snow was well aware of the crisis after the Great Leap Forward, but noted the unusual weather and did not class it as a famine.
13th October – Newly Available On-Line:
Problems 23 –
- Why it become the job of the Chinese Communist Party to complete the necessary nationalist revolution that the Kuomintang had backed away from in 1927.
- The unexpected role of Madam Sun (Soong Ching-ling) in publicising and strengthening Mao Zedong via Edgar Snow’s Red Star Over China.
- Full article, available online.
- Also available as aPDF,
Newly published, only available in print:
Problems 27 –
- Smedley as Stranger In Her Own Land
- Chinese Trotskyism
- The little-known Trotskyist influence on Khrushchev
- Witness at Xian – and Loose Cannon at Xian
- A Failed Sexual Revolution at Yenan
- Singing a Battle Hymn of China
- Persecution by the Ignorant and Powerful
- Death and Unjust Neglect
19th September, new on-line
Labour’s Next Leader?. September 2016.
Jeremy Corbyn’s PLP critics claim that under his leadership Labour is unelectable. Some of these critics are the same people who were responsible for Labour losing the last two general elections. But rather than rally round Corbyn they have placed their faith in Owen Smith, a man with little more than six years experience as a member of parliament. Their aim, they say, is a Labour government. So what guarantees can they offer that, should Smith defeat Corbyn in the leadership election currently being held, Labour will win the next general election?
- Also Parliament And World War One: :Labour and the War;
- Notes on the News;
- Votes on Iraq;
- Welfare Reform;
- Diary of a Corbyn Foot Soldier (No.4);
- Whatever Happened to the Parliamentary Labour Party;
- Parliamentary Notes;
- Listening to Italy;
- Poems: A Murder Of Crows; The Haven; When Uncle Sam Comes To Visit. (
- (To be posted on-line when 12 months old.)
From September 2015
- Editorial: What is a Real Opposition?
- Parliament And World War One Irish Adminstration,
- Parliamentary Notes,
- Notes on the News,including Thatcherism as ‘Feed the Rich’.
- Listening to Italy.
- Also available as a PDF, labour-affairs-260-september-2015
9th August – still available on-line:
Problems 22 – China’s Blue Republic, 1912-49 . Also Stalin: Paradoxes of Power.
China’s ‘Blue Republic’ lasted from 1912 to 1949, and achieved nothing. It achieved nothing because it was trying to erect a copy of the complex political structures of the USA or Western Europe on top of a society that had very different value. And doing it with a false understanding of the intricate political processes that had occurred there.
Also available as a PDF, Problems 22_China’s Blue Republic
Also newly published, available for now as print-only:
Problems 26 – Smedley: an American Woman Who Loved China’s Red Army
How Agnes Smedley found a life’s purpose in China
Her connection with super-spy Richard Sorge
Her account of the little-known Red Areas in South China
The surprising neglect of her work by later writers
How she told a genuinely unknown and potentially damaging story about Mao
The cowboy scholarship of ‘Wild Swan’ Chang and ‘Doc’ Halliday.
Her account of the ‘A.B. Group’, an early split within the Red Army
The Chinese Social Democrats’ efforts to created a functional Third Force
- The Labour Party grows from the Left. It shrivels when it settles down at the Centre.If the Labour Party is not a protest movement it is nothing.For long periods it has failed to win elections. When it has won an election with the spirit of protest still strong in it, and harnessed it to the task of governing, it has achieved something.Winning elections is often a matter of luck. If the Centre Ground PLP, which has boycotted Corbyn, was lucky and won an Election, it is a virtual certainty that it would just serve its term in Office in a way that was indistinguishable from Tory government, except to the people who have Government jobs for a few years.
Posted as a web page and also available as a PDF, Labour Needs Corbyn
- 14th July – Newsnotes for June and July-August. Tory election victory, Football scandals, India, China, memories of 1968. Also Austerity and how Hillair Belloc almost worshiped Mussolini.
- 3rd-4th June: Being Productive and Being Profitable. The fatal flaw in Adam Smith’s theory, which assumes that individual profit must benefit everyone.
- How National Economies Really Grow. The alternative system of Friedrich List, who recognised that real economics depends on nation-states.
- Adam Smith’s Friends and the birth of Conspiracy Theory. His connections to several influential individuals, including James Watt and John Robison. Robison believed in a conspiracy of Freemasons behind the French Revolution. He had nothing to say about Jews, but the notion later evolved into anti-Semitic fantasies like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
- 17th May: more about China
- 7th May: Woodrow Wilson’s Deceptive ’14 Points’.
- Ideas and Ideals – main menu, 2nd menu, 3rd menu.
- Science – main menu, extra
- History – main menu
- Britain – main menu, extra
- China – main menu, extra, Tibet
- Fascism and the two World Wars- main menu, extra
- Globalisation –main menu, extra
- Economics – main menu, extra (economics is about people)
- News Archive – main menu (has submenus for each year and for each month in a year).
- New Right Ideas – main menu
- USA – main menu
- Democracy – main menu
- Other Politics – main menu
- Why Humans Make Religion – main menu
- Science Fiction & Fantasy – main menu
- My artwork – main menu
- Holiday Photos – main menu
- Problems Magazine – main menu